Box, Money

Artifact

Identifier:
1947.004
Description
Cash Box from Devan's Toll Gate. Green Ton, sliding middle sections. Winged lids on each side, handles wired on top of each lid. Used by John Devan, who operated the Toll Gate on Galt Road opposite Dr. Jas. Hamilton's residence. Dr. Hamilton did not have to pay a toll when driving to Dundas, but if he wished to drive to Bullock's Corners he would have to pass through the toll gate. For this reason, he established a gate further up his property so he could go either way without paying the toll. John Devan and his wife kept this toll gate. John died before his wife. Dr. Hamilton's home was later owned by the Fisher family and afterwards owned and occupied by Dr. James Simpson.

Date:
1855